With Valentine’s Day behind us, why not finish out the week in a spirit of love? As it turns out, there’s an official way to do so – this week, February 12-18, is Random Acts of Kindness Week.
We all know that showing kindness benefits the recipients of our actions, but these selfless acts can also help the person behind the good deed. Research shows that performing acts of kindness can elevate mood and even help us live longer. Plus, kindness is contagious – perform a kind act for a neighbor, and before you know it your entire block will be in on the act!
Need inspiration? Here are 15 ideas for random acts of kindness to get you started:
- Give a compliment.
- Drop off a small bouquet at your local hospital – the nurses will know who needs it most. Or, show up with a stack of coloring books and crayons for the children’s ward.
- Waiting in a long line, invite the person behind you to go first.
- Offer to pet-sit when a friend is on vacation.
- Tip generously for a job well done.
- Happily hold the door open until everyone’s through.
- Give blood.
- Smile at people on the street.
- Leave the coffee shop cashier with an extra sum of cash to pay for those behind you.
- Offer a piece of gum to everyone in the elevator.
- Let the other guy have the parking space – with a smile.
- Fill out a comment card when you have a good
- Offer to take a picture for tourists.
- Let someone merge in traffic.
- Take your neighbor’s trash to the curb on pickup day, or bring it in.
We hope that helping others puts a spring in your step this week, and that you’ll be inspired to perform random acts of kindness year round!
Resources:be kind, random acts of kindness