As summer heats up and fashions bare more skin, many of us step up our exercise routines in an attempt to shed unwanted pounds. But did you know that working up a sweat also offers benefits to your skin? Take a look at the top 5 perks of exercise for your skin:
1. Eliminate toxins and clear pores: As the body’s largest organ, it’s also the biggest pathway for purging the bad stuff from your body. Sweating can help eliminate toxins and clean pores – leaving behind clear, glowing skin.
2. Increase oxygen and blood flow to skin: When you exercise and raise your heart rate, you increase rate of blood flow throughout the body, and that includes to the skin. With blood comes more oxygen and all those nutrients that can benefit your complexion.
3. Tone Muscles: Strength training doesn’t directly improve skin health, but it can make skin appear more firm and taut by filling out what’s underneath. Toned muscles can also help reduce the appearance of cellulite.
4. Relieve stress: If you’re a believer in the mind-body connection like we are, you’ll appreciate that reducing overall stress levels through exercise will be revealed in healthier, better looking skin.
5. Improve structure of skin: According to studies at McMaster University in Ontario, exercise may actually affect skin’s structure. After age 40, the stratum corneum, which is the outermost layer of the epidermis, tends to thicken and become drier and flakier. At the same time, the underlying dermis begins to thin, losing elasticity and becoming saggy. The research study showed that people who exercise have skin layers typical of someone decades younger – and that aging trends could even be reversed by starting exercise.
Now that you’re inspired to work out, keep in mind a few tips for summer exercise. Above all, stay hydrated. Summer temperatures can quickly dehydrate the body. When exercising outdoors, avoid peak sun and heat hours by going out in the morning or evening. If you do exercise in the sun’s rays, be sure to apply a broad spectrum sunblock, or you’ll risk negating those healthy skin benefits. Be sure to shower after exercise to cleanse away toxins – Actifirm Antioxidant Cleanser is a great choice to throw in your gym bag for facial cleansing. Last, preserve skin’s hydration with a light moisturizer – Actifirm Renovation Serum is wonderful for drawing moisture to the skin without causing breakouts.
Next time, we’ll talk about a subject that’s best avoided – treating overexposure to the sun.Tags: Exercise, hydrate, Skincare, summer